FKF Premier League

Wazito thrash Mathare Utd, AFC Leopards held to a 1-1 draw against Talanta FC

Wazito thrash Mathare Utd, AFC Leopards held to a 1-1 draw against Talanta FC | FKF Premier League

Wazito FC picked their second win in six games as they thrashed Mathare United 4-1 at the Utalii Grounds on Sunday afternoon.

The moneybags were too strong for the Slum boys from start to finish, taking a 14th-minute lead through Eli Asieche, who scored a rebound after the goalkeeper had denied him his first attempt.

Mathare came close to pulling level on the half-hour mark, but Kevin Kimani’s well-taken freekick rattled the crossbar.

They were level just before the break when Daniel Otieno got impeded in the area and were awarded a penalty. Kennedy Ochieng stepped up and easily converted for a 1-1 scoreline. going into the break.

Wazito regained their lead with virtually the last kick of the half as Musa Masika scored from the spot as well to ensure they led 2-1 going into the break.

They extended their in the 51st minute as Musa lobbed the keeper for his second of the game and Wazito’s third.

Oburu then squeezed home Wazito’s fourth in the 68th minute after some fine work down the left by Erickson Mulu.

In another match of the day, Deogratious Ojok’s glancing header in the first half was enough to give defending champions Tusker FC a 1-0 win away against Nzoia Sugar.

The Brewers have been struggling for form, winning twice in their last five games.

Meanwhile AFC Leopards dropped more Football Kenya Federation Premier League points after drawing 1-1 against Talanta FC at Nyayo Stadium on Sunday.

Ingwe had taken the lead in the first half when Daniel Msamali scored for them before they surrendered the slim lead after conceding a goal scored by Edwin Lavatsa.

Just like they did against the struggling Vihiga Bullets in the previous game, AFC Leopards were unable to hold onto the lead and ended up drawing a major setback in their bid to move up the table.

It took the former league champions nine minutes to grab the opener when Msamali collected Brian Wanyama’s cross and fired past Talanta’s goalkeeper, Isaiah Wakasala.

Kingsley Olaniyi would have added the second for Patrick Aussems’ side, but he ended up missing the ball that had been placed on his path by Peter Thiong’o in the 15th minute.

The Nigerian came close to scoring again in the 18th minute, but Wakasala was equal to the task as he stopped the shot fired from a tight angle.

Gershon Likono of Talanta failed to score from close range in the 28th minute when he fired wide after he was put through on goal by Brian Yakhama.

Wakasla was called into action once more three minutes before the half-time break when he had to stop Lewis Bandi’s effort at the near post.

Changes were made by both sides before the break as Aussems, who was seen exchanging words with the assistant referee on a number of occasions as the match continued, brought on Saad Musa for Msamali.

Ken Kenyatta’s change for Talanta saw him withdraw Yakhama and Likono and bring on Lavatsa and Francis Kahiro.

Moments after coming on, Lavatsa got on the scoresheet as he directed the ball into the net after AFC Leopards’ Levis Opiyo failed to collect a throw-in which hit the post and landed right in front of Lavatsa.

Former Kakamega Homeboyz forward Thiong’o would have given Ingwe the lead in the 79th minute, but he failed in his attempt to beat an advancing Wakasala.

The Talanta goalkeeper closed in on the Leopards star – who dilly-dallied with the ball – and stopped him from finding the net.

As Ingwe surrendered the lead once more in the season, Talanta, with four wins, four draws, and two losses, picked up another critical point in their maiden campaign in the top-tier.

Related Posts